Join Adgitize

Adgitize your web site.

Adgitize

facebook - 1 Blog and 2 Sides
10/12/08

Easy Old Fashioned Tea Cakes


2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup shortening (I prefer Crisco)
2 eggs
1 stick margarine or butter at room temperature
3 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla flavoring

Mix all ingredients together and chill. Roll into small balls about the size of a walnut. Flatten with the bottom of a glass. (If you have a *SILPAT sheet, they are wonderful to bake your cookies on). If you don't have a *SILPAT, grease or spray your pan with a cooking spray so they don't stick. Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown.


A *SILPAT is a silicon baking sheet that is used as a liner for your cookie sheets. I use them for all of my cookie baking so they don't stick or brown too much on the bottom of the cookie.

8 comments:

  • Anonymous

    My Grandmother used to make these, but she would either dip them in this chocolate fudge like frosting or she would put two together with the fudge like icing in the middle. YUMMM!

  • chilly said....

    WOW, the chocolate sounds like would be gooood.

    Ohhhhh Wandaaaaaaaaaaa!!! Chop-Chop to it woman! LOL!! ;)

  • Bridget said....

    Yummy!

  • Unknown said....

    Yummy!!!!

  • Anonymous

    Oh, yum! My mother in law used to make these, and I loved them!

    I just found you through Entrecard, and you're going in my bookmarks...what a yummy blog!

  • Unknown said....

    Your recipe sounds delicious - a little query or two - I am from England what is a stick of butter? How many ounces? Another little query, sorry, what is shortening?

  • Wanda said....

    Thanks to all of you for stopping by. I hope you enjoy making this recipe. Please let me know how you like them.

    Kloggers/Polly--I hope I can answer your questions so you can make them. A stick of butter is equal to 1/4 pound of butter or margarine. Shortening is a solid fat used in baking or frying here. Some people use something called "lard" made from animal fat in place of the shortening. Shortening is made from vegetable fats and I much prefer using it. It is much healthier.

  • Sweet Tea said....

    I made these today and they are outstanding! Just like the ones my grandma used to make. Thank you.

Post a Comment

 
Go Back To Top