Join Adgitize

Adgitize your web site.

Adgitize

facebook - 1 Blog and 2 Sides
9/27/08

Strawberry OR Cherry Butter Pretzel Salad


This salad is great with just about any kind of meat or chicken. I sometimes eat it myself as a dessert.

2 cups crushed butter pretzels (This is the secret to this recipe and Snyders of Hanover are the best pretzels we have here. These butter pretzels taste like pecans in the crust).
3/4 cup melted butter or margarine
3 Tablespoons granulated sugar

Stir together and press onto bottom of 9 x 13 inch casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Cool.

2 packages (3 oz.) cream cheese at room temperature
9 ounces Cool Whip or equivalent whipped topping
3/4 cup granulated sugar

Combine cream cheese and sugar, mix well. Fold in the Cool Whip. Spread over the pretzel crust, sealing the edges well. Chill at least 1 hour.

1 (6 ounce) package strawberry Jello
2 cups boiling water
2 (10 ounce) packages frozen strawberries

Dissolve the Jello in water. Stir in the frozen strawberries until thawed. Chill until almost set. Pour the Jello mixture over cheese mixture. Chill several hours before serving. Cut into squares. Yields 20 servings.


I tried a variation to this recipe for Thanksgiving. I used cherry Jello and 1 and 1/2 jars of sliced cold Maraschino cherries instead of the strawberries. I also added the juice from the one cherry jar since my cherries were not frozen. This was also delicious.

This is my oldest nieces favorite salad. She request that I make it each time she comes to my house for dinner or the family get togethers. I also had this requested to be served at a bridal shower since it is one of the brides favorites.

10 comments:

  • Melissa said....

    That really does sound good. I dont think I have ever heard of anything quite like it. Can you use any fruit, or does it have to be Strawberries?

  • Wanda said....

    Hi Melissa, I haven't tried anything but strawberry but I've been thinking about trying it with cherries. I believe the strawberry might be best though since the frozen strawberries is what adds the other water to the Jello and they are frozen. It makes it congeal a lot quicker. If I use the cherries, I will use a little of the maraschino cherry juice and slice up the cherries. It will take it longer to congeal but I can't see how it could be bad.
    If you try any other fruit in this, please let me know what you did and how it turns out.
    Thanks for visiting and I hope you will come back soon. Have a great day!

  • Anonymous

    Wow, that really sounds good!

  • Debbie said....

    I am going to try this tonight!

  • Melissa said....

    MMM cherries sound good too. I am not a huge fan of strawberries, so cherries might work. I will buy the ingredients my next shopping day.

  • Debbie said....

    I tried this, OMG! Son loves it and he hasn't eaten jello since a surgery a year and a half ago.

  • Anonymous

    OMG...do you have ANY idea what you're doing to my diet??? STOP THAT!

  • Melissa said....

    I have decided I am going to do it with raspberries. I will let you know how it comes out.

  • Rachel said....

    Sounds tooo delicious for me!!

  • Anonymous

    this is the best dessert for a holiday meal.

Post a Comment

 
Go Back To Top